Monday, December 6, 2010

Crowns and Wands


Over the Thanksgiving holiday I need some easy crafts to do with the Wonderkid and his cousin.  When Lindsay suggested the mirror-like cardstock Target was selling for $1 (and that was for 2 sheets) with her crown file I had some ideas. 

I purchased a wonderful file from Lindsay on MyGrafico.  You can find the file here.  I must admit that I never would have thought to purchase this file for a children's project. The file really is very "Ooh La La".  It is bras and bustiers and all that with this crown in the middle.  I'm glad I saw past the way it was laid out.  I would have been disappointed if I hadn't seen the potential crown for the little ones.

OK, I realize this isn't the cutest thing you have ever seen.  It isn't incredible but the kids LOVED them.  They wore them every day for the entire week.  In fact, I was afraid the Wonderkid would have a fit if we didn't bring his home on the plane. 

One not of caution, the crown is laid out so it could have combs hot glued to the end.  I didn't want to do that with the little ones so I ended up using a piece of paper and taping it to the ends.  If I had been smart, I would have taken the scraps and made a piece for the back so it could go all the way around the head.

Here is a picture of the little ones with their crowns (the older one wasn't as into the craft projects and this gave us something to do in the mornings so she could sleep in).

The crowns were worn front facing and backward.  The crown might not be the best thing in the world but isn't he?


I called this "gangster-style".  This was after wearing the crowns for 4 days.  I'm amazed at how well they held up.

I don't have a picture of the wands but we used two stars for each of them.  They were only about an each across.  I used Scotch Quick Dry adhesive to attach the ribbon and the stars to a pencil.  The little ones added gems to match their crowns.  The best part was the Wonderkid running around yelling "abba cadabba". 

So, if you need a quick, easy project to do with multi-aged little ones I definitely recommend this one.  It was a bigger hit than I ever could have hoped.

2 comments:

Norma said...

How fun!!! Very cute. Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a sweet comment.
Hugs,
Norma

Dorcas said...

These crowns are super cute! I love making them for the girls. Thanks for sharing!