Monday, June 20, 2011

Guest Designing At Paper Dolls


 Hello Friends -

Today I have a project outside my normal comfort zone.  I don't think I would have picked these flip flops except I was invited to be a guest designer for the new Paper Dolls blog.  I love Thienly's designs and her work with SVG's is stunning.  She always takes the time to make the little details work.  I must say I jumped at the chance to work on any project with Thienly and her blog partner, Tamara.  You can find their personal blogs here and here.

They sent me a file from SVG Shop, a new company for me.  The file had the flip flop top and bottom, I added the flower from another set by SVG Shop (the Chrysanthemum Box).

Now, anyone that knows me well understands I'm not a fan of flip flops.  I don't like them personally (I hate any shoes that go in between my toes) and I've spent too many years explaining to interns (and some staff) that flip flops are not appropriate for the work place. It has become a real source of frustration.  So, when I received the file I thought, oh no, what have I gotten myself into?

However, I am very pleased with the way my project turned out.  I love the colors (from K & Company's Poppy Seed stack) they were incredibly easy to mix and match.  I used the ends of the papers to cut out the flowers.  These flowers were very big so I ended up using only the middle and smaller sized flowers.

I used my iTop to make the brad.  It is one of the 22 mm brads, I would have done a 16 mm but I didn't have any of the metal pieces.  I'm on the search in the stores for the 16 mm.  I do love the way that iTop works.  I think the brad looks lovely in the middle of the flower.

These are some of the larger flowers I had left over.  I think I can make at least one more flower out of the off cuts.



As a reminder, if you are going to make a pair of these flip flops, you might want to flip the second one so they are a matching set.  Otherwise, you will have two left shoes.  It isn't the end of the world but it makes things look a little nicer.

I've decided to send these to a friend's daughter.  She is getting married in August and I thought these would be sweet favors for her wedding shower.  What do you think?

3 comments:

Thienly Azim said...

I love your flip flops! I would never have known that you didn't like them by the way you made it!

Thanks also for your comments regarding my work - it makes me so happy to know that you enjoy my work!

Also, thanks for being the guest designer for the Paper Dolls Challenge!

Eleanor said...

These are great! I love the colours, and I never would have guessed that you used my chrysanthemum flower if you hadn't wrote it. Lol
Thanks for making them even if they weren't your thing, they look very cute.
-Eleanor

Lisa-Jane said...

These are really funky! Great colours and what a lovely idea for a gift box.