Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Christmas Tree Decoration

I have seen so many people making these Christmas ornaments.  I don't know who first came up with the idea.  I first saw it done by Greenbean Crafterole.  Her blog is here.  But now I can't find them anywhere on her site.  As I remember it, she made them using Martha's glow in the dark glitter for Halloween.  If I'm wrong about who did that, please let me know so I can give proper credit.

My Pink Stamper did these with her daughter.  Her video is here.

Here is the quick version of how you make these:
1.  Buy glass christmas bulbs.  Almost any craft store will have them.  I purchased mine at Hobby Lobby for $2.50 for 12.
2.  Buy Pledge with Future Shine. 
3.  Buy some fine glitter.  I used Martha's because it was on sale.  I don't think it matters what brand, just make sure it is fine.  The confetti glitter and the regular glitter are pretty and all that but they are too big for this project.

Now that you are done shopping, take the metal piece off the top of the bulb.
Pour enough Pledge with Future Shine into the bulb to coat the inside.  I would put a good squirt in.  You can always dump out the extra if you have any.  Now swirl the liquid around the inside and make sure it gets all over the bulb.

Now pour a generous scoop of glitter into the bulb.  Swirl it around until the inside is completely coated.  If you don't have enough, pour in more.  If you have too much, just dump it out.

Put the metal top back on, the bulb.

Put a bow around the top (optional, of course).

I added vinyl to mine.  You can do your initials, a saying, anything you like.  I would keep the entire thing to about 1.5 inches.  Anything bigger starts to be tough to lay on the rounded surface nicely.

This will be another craft for the Advent Festival on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.

No comments: