Saturday, February 5, 2011

Pectin low sugar vs. regular

This is going to be a boring post so unless you can, you might want to skip today's message.  We'll get back to the more interesting stuff later.

I love my powdered Pectin.  I know some folks like the liquid but that just isn't for me.  Maybe this goes back to what I remember using when I was little, maybe it is just being stubborn, I don't know but I use powdered pectin.  Now that we have that established... Low Sugar vs Regular Pectin. 

For me, I only use low sugar.  I was thinking I was only doing this for health reasons.  Maybe that isn't the only reason.

Last week I was making A LOT of jam.  I had about 6 boxes of Low Sugar SureJell Pectin.  I was cranking along making my jams and everything was great until about 2 AM when I realized I had more fruit, more jars and no more Low Sugar Pectin.  I had some Regular Pectin someone had given to me.  Instead of waiting to finish off my canning, I decided to use up the Regular Pectin. 

Here is what I learned, not only does the Regular Pectin require about 40% more sugar (we are talking 2 or 3 cups more sugar per recipe) but when you put all of the extra sugar in the jam, it dilutes the taste of the fruit.  It just isn't as good as Low Sugar Pectin. 

Ben over at Pick Your Own has a chart with the relative advantages and disadvantages of the different types of Pectin.  You can find it here.

No comments: