Saturday, July 31, 2010

Northwestern Middle School Computer Labs


I've been working on the computer labs at one of the local middle schools.  The request was to "decorate" them.  When we started I don't think anyone had an idea of what this would mean.  I'm pleased with many parts of the project.
In all honesty, I can't take full credit for how they look.  The direction of the labs was identified by the computer tech at the school.  She gave me ideas and then I figured out how to make it work.  We had a rough start when we tried to mix the vinyl with packaged posters.  We then realized that in order to have a good look we needed to have all of the pieces either cut from vinyl or laminated but with the same look and feel of the vinyl pieces.

For those that do this kind of work, I use my Cricut Expression on a daily basis.  I also use both Design Studio and Sure-Cuts-A-Lot (SCAL).  SCAL has really opened up the possibilities for me.  I'm amazed at what a difference it makes.  That being said, I still use Design Studio and all of my Cricut Carts.  I look on the carts to see if I have an image before I go to SCAL and either buy an individual image or make it myself.

Here is the computer lab with the math theme.
This shows some of the graphics (I bought these from Creative Delights), the computer terms and the websites.
One of the corners
This is the calculator that I created.  I used squares (rounded corners and straight) and then I added all of the buttons.  If anyone wants a SCUT file for it, I'm happy to share.
The mouse tail is made out of macrame cord.  It goes from the end of the computer mouse (another one I made myself and can share the SCUT file) to the Grace, the mouse, and across the top of the room.  We'll see how long it takes the students to pull it down.
Check out the compass.  It is from the Cricut Locker Talk cart.

No comments: