Sunday, August 22, 2010

Heritage Week -- Quilt Block Cards

Last week I showed a summer's worth of work on the walls of the Northwestern Middle School.  This week, I'm going to shake things up a little bit.  I don't have the entire thing planned out but...

To start the week I want to share some cards I designed and made.  A few weeks ago I saw some quilt blocks done by SVG Cuts.  They have a ton of free SVG's on their blog, many of which I've used at different times.  The SVG's are then imported into SCAL making cuts for my Cricut.  I looked at the free SVG but didn't have time to make the card I had in my mind.  Well, this week, I went back and made it. 


Once I started making the quilt blocks I ended up making almost a dozen.


The upper block shows my modifications.  I didn't layer the star (as the design called for) and I added the square in the middle from one of the other versions.  These were made using Stampin' Up pattern paper and cardstock.  The base is Very Vanilla, the dark brown is Chocolate Chip and the pattern paper is one I bought in the spring but I can't find the package.  I love these colors together.  I must admit, SU makes it easy to do something like this. They create the entire pallet, all you need to do is mix it together. 

While I like the colors of this upper ones, I like the next design better.
I created this quilt block after looking at a number of different quilts.  It is very close to a block called Evening Star.  I think the next time I make it, I will use a patterned base as opposed to the white base.  This card is the perfect example of why SCAL is easier to use than CDS. You could create this in CDS.  The shapes are available in George and other carts, the same as they are available in SCAL.  However, in SCAL I was able to design this at 12 inches and resize it for a 5 inch card.  Design Studio requires you to either be very confident of the size of each element before you start or to resize each element individually.  I'm not certain I would have ever made this design (or the other dozen I'm thinking about) if I didn't have SCAL. 

Here is one more version of the Evening Star block.

I inked all of the edges with Color Box Cat's Eye blue chalk.  The paper is from a pack by Anna Griffin called the Alix Collection.  The paper is double sided and incredibly versatile for this type of project.  I initially worried that the pattern was too large for this design but I think it worked out fine. 

Thank you for joining me today.  This week I think we will do some canning.  I may show you the farmer's market in Atlanta, make some watermelon pickles and I'm not certain what else.

Soon I will show you a number of t-shirts I've made for the Wonderkid and other friends and family.

No comments: